Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Review)


Was recommended this book via forum when I asked about books with detailed action scenes *this was before I read dresden files and vampire hunter D of course). Anyway now that I finally sat down to read it as my first sci fi read in ages, I come to categorize it as one of the best books I've ever read. From the very first chapter I realized the concept was similar to a few ones I've seen before but in the thriller genre and instead of pretty boy teenagers, the genius was in the form of a 6 year old kid- that alone warranted me to finish this book.

Plot: As said before the book is centered around 6yr old Andrew (Ender) Wiggin and his trials as a third born child in the family. The law at that time in the future was that no family is to have more than two children without government permission otherwised they'd be taxed heavily etc. However this family wasn't normal, as the first two kids were both geniuses and Ender wasn't any different. The world in this book is steeped in a war between the human race and this alien raced termed 'Buggers' who have far superior numbers, technology and intelligence than us humans. Well at least that's what was thought however mankind has invested years in creating this school which harvests child geniuses and prodigies and rear them from as early as eight to become the admirals and generals of their fleet to fight the Buggers. And this is where Ender's story begins, as a third whose very existence is to fight the Buggers and the fate of mankind rests on him.

It may sound a bit typical from the premise but I assure you it is not. From the very get go there is a huge psychological thriller going on between the characters. For one Peter; Ender's older brother who is just as brilliant as Ender but perhaps crueler has had this secret wish to destroy his little brother and doesn't keep it a secret. While Ender's older sister Valentine shares the intelligence but has more compassion for most people especially Ender. * Bare in mind these characters are less than ten years old.* And this sort of isolation and jealousy continues as the story progresses and Ender develops more into the genius killer he is needed to be. With new characters setting their sights on the boy and pushing him to the limit. I could go much deeper but I'm trying to keep spoilers to a minimum.

The books style is engaging too, with every chapter beginning with a conversation between military higher ups regarding Ender's education and a sort of insight on what twisted plans they have for the boy. And the chapter then deals with how Ender handles that plot and eventually how it helps him to grow as a soldier. I also loved the hidden meanings behind the dreams and games which Ender has, and how they relate to each character interaction he has and how he is influenced as a human being.
It truly is a deep deep book.

Only one thing bugged me really and stopped me from giving it a full 5 stars. The imagery was very very bland at times I almost felt like the characters were in a world of white. But then again the environment hardy mattered because I was so caught up in each person's mind and conflicts that I could care less where they were in my head. And as I mentioned the battles, I will say these are some brilliant strategies here and when Ender is ruthless and efficient its almost astounding. The recommendations were definitely not out of place in this one where battle was concerned.

All in all its a great book, I'm going to measure all my sci fi reads with this unconsciously from now on. And I am resisting the urge to read the rest of the series simply because I have started too many other series already lol.

4 1/2 out of 5 stars !

No comments: